Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:07:09 -0800
Hi Peter,

I am sorry to see you having such a difficult time getting an answer to a
simple question!

Yesterday I asked the following question to several researchers directly:
"Have you, or any other researchers that you know of, actually looked to
see if there were Nosema ceranae spores on the combs?"

Dr. Eric Mussen, a U.S. nosema expert, said "No."
Dr. Marla Spivak, who has been studying N ceranae,  said "No."
Dr. Jeff Pettis, head of the USDA/ARS team studying N ceranae, said "No."
Dennis van Englesdorp, of the Penn State CCD collaboration, said "No."

About the only other nosema researchers in the U.S. that I can think of
are Dr. Steve Sheppard and Dr. Robert Cramer, who I didn't ask directly,
but I have been speaking with both recently, and I have no reason to
believe that they have looked at the comb.

In fact, yesterday some of the researchers above, and I, discussed this
glaring oversight, and had an interesting discussion as to how best to go
about it!  Should we simply swab, or rinse?  I didn't get the impression
that any planned to follow up.

Jim Fischer, whose opinion I greatly respect, apparently has more
information than myself or those above.  Jim, I would be happy to fill in
this apparent oversight in our knowledge of N. ceranae.  If you will
suggest to me a protocol for examination that would be satisfactory to
you, I would be happy to go out to a N ceranae-infected colony and swab,
wash, or otherwise collect a sample as per your instructions, and examine
it under the microscope for spores.

While you are at it, perhaps you could clarify your logic as to how the
difference between acetic acid and irraditation sterilization of combs
implies that N ceranae spores are on the combs.  Both treatments kill
nosema spores, and somehow I'm not understanding your reasoning.  Maybe
I'm the only dull one on this List, but would appreciate the favor of your
clarification.

Thank you Peter for pointing out an apparent gap in our knowledge.  I look
forward to plugging it upon receipt of Jim's suggested protocol (to this
List, not private please, Jim).

Randy Oliver
Making an effort to maintain polite discussion in this new year!