From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 21:22:05 -0800
On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, BusyKnight wrote:

> >Maybe a cooperative effort could be made to gather prospects
> >into a breeding program?
>
> Seems like I recall a plan to do this about a year or two ago.
> There was a universal call put out (mainly to the large commercial
> honey producers) to send in their queens that were shown to have
> survived a mite onslaught.  I don't recall what organization put
> out this call.  Whatever happened to this *program*?

 This is starting to sound good folks. The mountain is tall but with many
the task will be completed.The Experts will tell you of the problems and
the time it takes. But with a cooperative effort we can do anything. The
one thing that has to be set at the begining is , the ones that are
putting out the effort will recieve the rewards. The rewards should bee
better bees without chemicals and another example of people working
together for the common good.We just need a plan , one that will get us
some money. Don't ever foreget for one second how much money is made
because beekeepers labor and put up with all kinds of problems to
pollenate many different crops. If we think it will be done, it will be done.
I had to give a presentation to get 10 mil out of Uncle Sam.I was scared
to death. After my hour and half I sat down, and could not remember one
thing that I said. I had a script and that lasted 30 seconds.I belived in
what I was doing and they could see that.The rest was history. ( 14 mil
was the #)I bet in the beekeeping comunmity we have a vast talent pool.
Some much better than I at presentations.
  We should not roll over and say that we will fund the project.I think
there are enough facts out there to show that beekeepers as a whole are
having a hard time. Lets just say that the profit margin is not on par
with a lot of industry.We should all work on the public. That is not
hard. I give a little honey here and there and talk to the kids in
schools. They call me the Honey man , and wave and smile.
 I would like to get an idea of how many would like to get together and
get some of the things that we need.( Good Queens and money for the
researchers ) There is a lot of work that we can do together
 Thank You
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries
NE 170 Ranch Dr.