From:
Harry Goudie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:47:25 -0000
Peter Borst "wonder(s) if anyone has ever produced a better bee."

I think the answer to this is probably "Yes" but whether it is morally
justified is more open to debate.  Our track record in this field is not
good.  We have produced broiler chickens which grow so quickly that they
can't walk.  We have modified the wolf to such an extent that it looks like
a small bald rat and we are now in the process of genetically modifying
everything without  even resorting to the more conventional breeding
methods.   To produce a better bee we have to interfere with its natural
selection process.  This is something which we do to virtually all living
things except our own species.  Why do we exclude ourselves from this
process?  If  we  consider it to be wrong for some reason then why do we
inflict it on the rest of life?
Bees have been around for at least 50 million years ( a long, long time).
They have probably evolved to being pretty near perfect.  I think we should
give them a break.  Let them choose their own mates.  We have introduced
them to the varroa mite which may have sealed their fate.  We don't seem to
be helping these animals at all!

Harry,

Scottish Bee Issues:-  http://www.luichartwoollens.freeserve.co.uk