From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:55:19 -0400
Re: Beesuits

I just want echo what Allen said about bee suits. Buying a bee suit that is way too big is a very good idea. They are cooler, easier to move around in and more protective than they would be if they were tight against your skin. I used to wear one all the time, chiefly to keep from getting my "street clothes" stained up by propolis.

But, after working as a NY State inspector for three years, I have basically changed my ways altogether. We were instructed to not wear bee suits for several reasons. One, they are usually filthy looking, even if just recently washed. Second, showing up in street clothes puts the beekeeper at ease, whereas showing up with a filthy bee suit, leather gloves and waders, makes the beekeeper think "there's gonna be trouble".

The first year I wore all khaki. This is a good choice as it doesn't show the propolis like white does. And it really puts the old timers at ease if the bee inspector is "dressed like  me". Most old timers wear khaki. Problem is, I hate khaki and I prefer blue jeans. So I hit upon a great solution.

My standard bee suit now is light blue jeans and a light blue denim shirt. I usually don't tuck it in, so the propolis stain usually winds up along the bottom edge of the shirt, instead of the pants. (If you tuck in, it doesn't even show). You can get these outfits real cheap at the Salvation Army, although I prefer to wear new clothes (fit better).

For a veil, I prefer the "Alexander" veil, which is shaped like a small bucket. It has an elastic to hold it to your head, but that thing doesn't work. I immediately cut it out of there and wear the veil with a canvas fishing hat inside. This keeps the veil in place (like the elastic was supposed to do) and adds an extra layer over my *bald head* in case the bees get real ticked off and start stinging through the *thin cotton top* of the veil.

This get up works for 99% of my bee work. I keep a full bee suit handy for emergencies, like the occasional toppled over six story, or the *mean bees from hell* you sometimes encounter. It has to be pretty bad before I'll put on a suit. I don't consider a sting every couple of minutes to be so bad, but more than one at a time is another story.

plb