From:
Richard Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 09:19:02 -0800
On Fri, 18 Mar 1994, Aaron Morris wrote:

[much deleted . . .]
> I keep likening this issue to the issue of where do I locate my hives.
> I don't place my hives on a busy street corner, for more than just the
> obvious reasons.  A street corner hive would certainly be a way to raise
> peoples' interest!  But a street corner hive would also invite those
> whose interests aren't related to bees, per se.  A street corner hive
> would affect those who just happen to be walking by (casual netters).  A
> street corner hive would also invite vandals (mischievous netters).  To
> avoid the passers by and the vandals, I locate my hives off the beaten
> path.  And I welcome any opportunity to educate informed parties who are
> inquisitive enough to seek me out and request a tour of my apiary.  But I
> don't advertise either.

ahhh, but we *do* place our hives on "street corners" such as fairs and
expositions, in order to expose people to the wonders and values of bees.
newsgroups will introduce many people to beekeeping - people who might not
have come to it otherwise.

the concerns being expressed by some subscribers about a bee newsgroup are
a bit facile and more than a bit elitist. i have enjoyed being a member of
this list for some time and i have gotten useful information from the
group, but i look forward to an internet newsgroup that will have the
worldwide circulation and open access that this will allow. i'll tolerate
the occasional "interference" in the name of electronic democracy.

regards, richard

all disclaimers apply