From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 10:18:04 -0400
> But if there are native bees doing the same work as honey bees on the same crops, on the scale of modern agriculture

Examples:

> Our bee survey revealed that there is an impressive diversity of native bee species in the NY orchards we surveyed. In terms of numerical abundance of individual bees, native bees were more abundant than honey bees in 9 of the 11 sampled orchards, suggesting that native bees are playing an important role in apple pollination.

Park, M. G., Orr, M. C., Danforth, B. N., & Hall, C. (2010). The role of native bees in apple pollination. NY Fruit Quart, 18, 21-25.

> In this study, the Þrst documenting wild bees visiting crop flowers through the growing season, non-Apis bees accounted for the majority of crop visitation for several economically important entomophilous crops in Virginia, such as apple, blueberry, caneberry, and cucurbit) and likely provided most of the pollination. Wild bees made up between 68% (in caneberries) and 83% (in cucurbits) of bees visiting crop flowers.

Adamson, N. L., Roulston, T. H., Fell, R. D., & Mullins, D. E. (2012). From April to August—Wild Bees Pollinating Crops Through the Growing Season in Virginia, USA. Environmental Entomology, 41(4), 813-821.

> Wild bees are particularly efficient pollinators for certain native crops (including pumpkin, tomato, cranberry, and blueberry), and with sufficient habitat, they can provide all the necessary pollination for these crops.

Barfield, A. S., Bergstrom, J. C., Ferreira, S., Covich, A. P., & Delaplane, K. S. (2015). An Economic Valuation of Biotic Pollination Services in Georgia. Journal of Economic Entomology, 108(2), 388-398.