From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2016 14:10:53 -0400
"[Five years later. Does anyone on Bee-L have experience putting Bee Informed data into successful practice?]"

I in no way question the knowledge or dedication of Dennis and his team. However I have not found the BIP survey to be useful and indeed question it's conclusions. The, in my mind inflated, reported losses have done more to flame the media hysteria around managed bees and provided little useful information to experienced beekeepers. I filled out the survey carefully for the first 3 years but when I reviewed the report before sending I felt that someone reading it unaware of my operation would not get a very accurate view of my methods or results. The compilation of other participants was equally useless due largely to the fact that the great majority have little experience and the information is not specific enough to be useful. I have not participated the last couple of years.

BEE-L is exactly what is useful to me.  A moderated discussion among knowledgeable beekeepers from a wide geographic distribution on nearly all important topics. A lot of the math and genetic information is well above my head but still I enjoy the back and forth. I learn useful methods from sources that I trust that I can apply and see if it works for me. In turn I occasionally share my own experience. So keep up the good work Arron and thanks to all who share their knowledge. I am a better beekeeper because of it all.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA