From:
Walter Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:15:00 EST
Greetings to all who are replying to my question.
The sterilization method has been one such reply.

I contacted Peter Edwards directly to clarifiy the strength of the  acid in
his methodology and got a reply that it was 80% acetic  acid .
Ruary has also replied but rather than using full strength there is a
dilution involved.

I indicated recently that my background was in chemistry and I must act
responsibly now by warning about the use of any acids especially concentrated,
when there is a dilution involved as here with water. The other method was to
pour the 4 oz undiluted onto a pad of rags.

First , the facilities have to be correct, i.e in a fume hood type of
ventilated area or outside in a quiet undisturbed location.
The apparel must be long sleeves, several layers or acid resistant, face
shield preferably and a mask for the type of acid conditions .   Chemical gloves.
   Nothing less!  and any other suggestions  by others also.

If dilutions are done with water Remember:    ACID INTO  WATER.
If you do the reverse, there is an exothermic reaction at the surface and
splattering will take place causing a very dangerous situation.

Wikepedia online encylopedia has interesting info on acetic acid for those
who are interested.

Last , it was pointed out that this sterilization method is in many books.
Can someone post those sources of reference.

Thanks
Walter