Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:23:31 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
 My take is:

Straining- straining throuugh a screen, sieve, cloth or other filtering device that the honey passes freely through, pushed only by gravity.  Large pieces of debris are removed, but tiny wax particles and pollen remain in the honey, and may rise to the surface of the honey to be later skimmed. May be done on cold (Room temperature) honey, or on honey warmed to speed things up.

Filtering.  A more rigourous fitration process, using finer straining mediums, and requiring pressure or pumping to press the honey through the filter.  Heat must be used to keep things flowing.  All wax particles are removed, and most or all of the pollen is removed.

Micro filtration.  Extremely fine filtration, using highly specialized equipment that removes even extremely tiny pieces of wax and debris, and all traces of pollen.  Gives you a very bright, clear pretty product that is very slow to crystallize.

Of course these are inly my impressions, and anyone else is free to create their own definitions- or even to refine mine- Whatcha think?

Ellen

Lewis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Straining and filtering seem to be used synonymously when
dealing with honey. What is the difference between straining,
filtering and ultra filtering honey?

John

ATOM RSS1 RSS2