From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 07:42:16 -0600
>   1:  I would like to put the hive in an area with some pine trees.
> This area doesn't get a whole lot of sun and I'm planning on putting
> a wind break on the north side.  Is it a better idea to put the hive
> in a sunnier area?

Full sun gives better buildup and friendlier bees.  Windbreak is
always a good idea.

If you are in Tennessee, then you might find that in really hot
weather some artificial shade might be beneficial -- like from a
part sheet of plywood on the top over four bricks with more on top to
keep it there, or perhaps some upward ventillation.   Talk to your
neighbouring beekeepers (Join your local bee group).

But usually a standard beehive without tinkering is just fine.

>   2: Color:  I'm leaning on a light shade of green to make the hive
>   less
> obvious.  My SO wants to paint the hive light yellow but if we go
> with white or light green she then wants to paint something on the
> side (what I have _no_ idea).   Does anyone see problems in this
> area?

The bees don't care.

Darker colours result in warmer boxes.  Good in the spring, but not
necessary in the summer.

Have fun.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>