From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:01:16 -0700

> >Randy Oliver, in the ABJ, accurately describes the survival dance between
> bees and viruses. It's a must read, especially if you have suffered unusual
> losses like Allen and I have.

Now on my website: "Sick Bees 2."

>If you ever have bees again it will be more difficult

I've spoken with a number of CCD victims.  Most have recovered.  It is
possible to work bees back onto the combs, especially after they have "set"
for a while.  However, in my current trial with the deadout equipment from
the collapsed colonies described in the article above, recovery is poor,
even with treatment for nosema.

Comb disinfection is difficult for many, due to lack of facilities.  I have
not tried bleaching, as Bob did.  But at last count I think that Bob said
that he'd never seen CCD, so don't know if it would apply.

The good news is that there are some colonies that laugh at whatever the
heck is causing CCD.  Breed from those and restock your equipment.  Allen,
in your case, since you have no survivors, it's going to be luck of the
draw, but I'd suggest restocking with a diversity.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
ScientificBeekeeping.com