From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:36:39 -0700
Simply put:  Queens originate from worker larvae.  The nurse bees flood the worker larvae with royal jelly, then reconstruct the cell size to accomodate the larger space required of a queen.  The bees will convert a worker cell into a queen cell, and customarily, the queen cell hangs off the side of the comb, even along the lower edges of the frame.

  I try to explain to others that because of the rich diet of royal jelly, the worker larvae has her destiny altered to a higher plane of nutrition and development such that she becomes a queen and not a worker.

  However, you need young larvae to pull this off, hence my thoughts about adding a frame of eggs and young larvae.  More than likely, if you are waiting for a newly emerged queen to mature and show herself, all of the other larvae that came with her has aged into the pupa state, and for them, it is too late to become a queen.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO