From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 15:05:53 +0200
The British Beekeepers´ Association is moving away from cash sponsorship
deals with pesticide manufacturers after concerns that the chemicals may be
harmful to bees. Bee numbers in Britain are down 54 per cent in 20 years,
double the rate of the rest of Europe, according to research by the
University of Reading. The 135yearold charity endorses four pesticides –
synthetic pyrethroids – used to combat the varroa mite that is linked to the
collapse of colonies. In return, for the past 12 years the association has
received 17,500 a year from Bayer Crop Sciences and Syngenta. This
relationship angered many members and some left the association. Phil
Chandler, a writer and beekeeper from Devon, set up a rival campaign,
Biobees, to promote chemicalfree beekeeping. Related Links Virus could
explain drop in bee numbers Bloodsuckers DNA holds vital clues to saving
worlds bees The Vanishing of the Bees Research from China indicates that
synthetic pyrethroids are toxic to bees and cut the number of eggs hatched.
Companies have introduced new pesticides, neonicotonoids, which are also
blamed for wiping out bees. They are banned in France, Italy, Germany and
Slovenia, and the Soil Association, which champions organic farming, wants a
similar ban here.Beekepers too are concerned about these new products and
have declined to endorse them. The BBKA, which has 17,000 members, is
already identifying new sources of income to fund its annual budget of
250,000, such as a deal with Saga, which is sponsoring an "Adopt a Beehive"
scheme. Tim Lovett, public affairs director for the BBKA, said: "We have
always taken a pragmatic approach to the use of pesticides and to ensure
proper stewardship of the products. But we have not endorsed the newer
compounds called neonicotonoids and have called for more research on their
safety. We are therefore now budgeting to ensure that we have no dependence
at all on payments for product endorsement and we anticipate funding from
the two chemical companies will end. "Mr Chandler was pleased by the change
of policy but said: "They seem to be dropping the sponsorship quietly when
what I would like to see is them coming out more vocally against
agricultural pesticides. But I am happy if they are stopping the
endorsements."The BBKA is adamant, however, that the older pesticides will
remain a tool for beekeepers, and it will continue to discuss safety with
manufacturers.

http://www.agroclipping.com.ar/2010/05/05/Beekeepers-turn-away-from-chemical-cash-deals-after-safety-fears/
--
Juanse Barros J.