From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:47:24 -0400
Many of us used TM as a preventative for years. The US government bee
researchers are recommending against it because it may have
contributed to the development of strains of AFB that resist the
effect of TM. Some states requiring burning infected hives, hence,
many beekeepers sought to avoid this high cost by preventing AFB.

Some states permit treating AFB hives and some studies show that it
can be cured with TM. There is an effort on the part of the US
government to provide beekeepers with an alternative to TM. However,
I was told it would not be recommended as a preventative but as a
treatment for sick hives, which is prohibited in some states.

Personally, I would recommend giving up TM on bees and destroy AFB
infected hives. They should be few and far between. Mites, on the
other hand, will likely be in all hives. Still, I would sample the
bees using the ether roll and if there are seriously infested hives,
I would treat the whole yard because mites can drift from hive to
hive, probably on the bees themselves.

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>