From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:08:50 -0400
In a message dated 97-08-08, From:      [log in to unmask] (Steven Albritton)

<< Dr. Polett of the LSU Extension Service decided it was the fumes from the
 Diazon.  The Diazon was poured into mounds and put up under the hives in
 large quanties.  The weather was hot and extremely dry.  He believes that in
 the process of Venting the hives the fumes were sucked in.  The hives in the
 direct sun suffered the worse.  The night I found the problem I raked the
 diazon away and washed down the area around the hives.  Once this was done
 thing seem to have stablized.

 They are going to inspect the hives, but have decided that the hives
 themselves are not contaminated.  I've lost one hive and four more are a
 wait and see.  The hives in the shade are back working with greatly reduced
 populations.  I'll let you know more after they inspect.  >>

The explanation seems plausible, though it is the first case I've heard of
this type of situation. In view of the hundreds of bee kills I've
investigated, I still would make the authorities take pollen samples from the
hives and look at other possible pesticide sources as well.

[log in to unmask]         Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA