From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:39:14 -0400
Dr. Gerald L Barbor wrote:
 In the discussions of patties, the recipe always calls for granulated
> sugar.  This makes patties that are hard to manipulate.  Powdered sugar makes a patty that is easier to form and can be rolled thinner - easier to handle.   Comments?

        I agree. I've tried both and prefer powdered sugar. Besides being
smoother and easier to form, its possible to make a sweeter patty that
will be used in an acceptable time even in the fall. Its also possible
to use liquid vegetable oil (cheaper too) so you can mix your batch
without heat. We make about 145 lb. per batch in a half hour, no heat.
Granulated sugar does not work with liquid oil. The cost of 6X sugar in
100lb bags is about the same as granular. Another advantage is that the
patties made from liquid oil/6X do not change viscosity with temperature
so if you set some patties on top covers in the sun, they will not melt.