From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 15:54:21 -0600
On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Allen Dick wrote:

> I'd like to direct this question about tracheal mites testing to
> those who are knowledgable about the question of mite testing and
> treatment - specifically bee scientists and commercial beekeepers:
>
> First some background:
>
> Last year we found that the 25th bee sampled from the honey house
> windows had tracheal mite damage.  Tests this year, we had exactly
> the same results.

It is obvious that you are sampling too many bees.  Next year try only
two dozen and then you can claim to be mite free.

Seriously, you have raised some valid questions and I look forward to
reading the replies.

My own practice is to assume that I have mites in every yard and treat
accordingly.  However, I continue to sample as well.  For the last three
years, yards that did not build well, did not produce well and had a poor
survival over winter had more mites than other yards when sampled in the
spring.   I still vividly remember unwrapping 40 hives and when I finally
made it to the end of the line and looked back there were only 7 hives left
on pallets - and they were not good.

Assuming 10% are going to die anyway, I feel that the mites cost me 36-7
= 19 colonies and 7 weak colonies.
At $70 and, say $20 that works out to about $1500 lost plus the cost of
cleaning up the mess.

Eric