Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 22:06:16 -0500
> please elaborate on the damage and harm that might occur if this
> manipulation were practised without understanding and proper timing.

I haven't been following the latest articles on the topic, but
basically, checkerboarding is just spreading brood according to a
formula, with a catchy name.

If you live in an area where the temperatures are always comfortable in
shirtsleeves, the risk is less, but in more extreme regions, chilled
brood and stressed bees can result.

Spreading brood is a technique which should be done on a hive by hive
basis, according to need, and by someone who can read bees.

Some strains of bees are very conservative and spreading brood may not
overextend them, but other strains tend to raise and cover as much brood
as they can, and increasing the brood nest size can harm them. if there
is risk of cool weather.

Many newbees figure that just because they did OK that their
manipulations were beneficial.

If they have nothing to compare, to, then who can say?