From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:32:35 -0400
>I have a number of bee breeders send me queen stock for
testing.  I put them in nucs, and start control nucs side by side with my
own queens.  The nucs with introduced queens are often overwhelmed by mites
within a few to several months.

Hi Randy,

Your statement suggests that it makes no difference
weather bees are resistant or not, -they will be
overwhelmed by mites if placed in a commercial beeyard
due to the mite pressure.

>But I'm certainly not giving up.  I currently run two yards of pure bred
Russians (which generally keep mites at relatively low levels)...

If mites are overwhelming colonies all colonies which are
untreated, why not shift to the Italian bee?  Personally, it
kills me that many commercial breeders are ignoring the potential
which exists with the Italian bee.  They now, IMO, possess
excellent  resistance and are perhaps the bee best suited for
commercial beekeeping in the USA.  IMO, Its nearing time for
a return to the Italian bee.

>I'd be happy to purchase a few queens from you next spring and run them in
my yards and let you know what happens!

I have the ability to do this.  But I believe they will
fail in a commercial operation due to the abnormal
mite pressure that exists.
-but it will be an interesting experiment.

Best wishes
Joe Waggle