From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:39:22 -0600
With the upswing in interest in keeping bees, we are having more and more
municipalities struggling with how to deal with hives in the city limits.  I
sense a danger when the building commissioner who can not identify a honey
bee is assigned the job of writing the ordinance.  I am also concerned that
cities will limit beekeeping by charging for a license to cover the expense
of having that building commissioner inspect the city apiaries.

I am looking for good examples of ordinances that have worked will for
cities and beekeepers alike.  I would appreciate any copies that are
available or links to municipal sites.

Illinois added over 250 new names to the rolls of registered beekeepers in
2011.  That is the third year of similar increases.  We are at a 15 year
high.  (In Illinois beekeeper are supposed to register.  In reality only a
portion do, so our measure of increase is likely underestimated.)  Many of
both the registered and unregistered beekeepers are now dealing with city
fathers.

Thanks for any help.  The model ordinance we develop will be posted on our
website.

Larry Krengel