From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:23:15 -0800
Bob & Liz wrote:

> Hello Allen & All,
> Queen standards are a excellent idea but I doubt you could ever get a system
> in place.  I complained in the 80's when *Huck Babcock- Queen Breeder* was
> ripping people off.  I still remember Hucks motto:

Hello Allen and All,
 Queen standards are needed. The problems that queen breeders have , are plenty
and complex.  Even with great genetic stock they may have bad weather that will
drop the overall quality of there early queens.Coming up with some very basic
criteria for evaluation should not be very difficult.
 Brood pattern.
Calm bees
Hygienic Behavior

 As we look deeper into the hives performance , then we are faced with one of
the most difficult problems that I have watched over the last 32 + years. Some
bees do very well in California but up here in western Washington , they hang
around in the hive and wait for sunshine to fly. Some years they don't leave the
hive very much. Hence very little honey. Breeders can work with lines that do
well in short seasons. I use Carni's , but all carni's are not equal. Even from
the same breeder. Year to year I see some differences in brood patterns and the
temperature that the bees fly.
 What we can expect from breeders , is a honest attempt to improve there stock
with good knowledge in genetic diversity.That is one of the biggest problems
that face the breeders. Good for a couple of years and then down hill.Well
educated breeders can get us the queens that we want and need.
 Bob, I remember Huck and his full page ads. If it sounds to good and it is
pushed too hard  , stay away. He may be selling cars now.

Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries
Tahuya Wa. 98588