From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 14:09:31 -0400
The Background:  This year we lost 5 colonies out of 25.  Not bad for a
winter that was so much colder than normal here in western NY.  There may
have been one day in January for a cleansing flight (maybe) then another at
the beginning of March.

During the first week in March the weather was warm enough to crack the
lid, look inside and slip in a fondant patty for insurance.  All 25 were
alive but there were 5 with what appeared to be smaller populations.  The
weather turned cold again and we had about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks of near zero F
temperatures.

At the end of March the weather warmed enough to get a good look into the
hives.  Five were deadouts.  The clusters were split in all cases and honey
was near by.  Some looked like there was dead capped brood.  Dead bees on
the bottom board and some that were remaining on the comb looked like
starvation with honey nearby.  Either the bees could not reform a unified
cluster or were attempting to keep some brood warm.  All of the deadouts
showed signs of major dysentery in the hive, on the top bars and at the
upper entrance.  If it was not for Nosema ceranae, I would have diagnosed
death by N apis.

We took samples and sent them to Beltsville.  We did not have the foresight
to take samples for our own use and see what the prevalance of Nosema was
per Randy O.  We own a microscope too.  If we had measured the prevalence
of Nosema, and also sent samples some of the survivor colonies, that may
have helped to interpret my question to the group.

Nosema spores per Bee per Beltsville:

1.  70,500,000
2.  5,100,000
3.  32,750,000
4.  18,450,000
5.  24,300,000
mites about .6-.8 per bee
no tracheal mites
and yes those are millions

I would guess by these high numbers that this is N ceranae.  Just a guess.

The question:  What do these spore count numbers mean? (other than dead
bees)

And second question:  Was there ever a consensus whether a 1:9 bleach
solution would kill Nosema spores such as on the top bars.
Dennis
​Very western New York, USA​