From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:22:46 -0500
Hives in full sun. (sorry Charles Linder)

Don't be,  put your hives where you like,  But  did it solve your problem?  Beetles vanish?  Bet 100$ the answer is nope,  just got them under control. Had you done the same management techniques to a shaded hive  your results would have been the same.

The part I find most fascinating,  is not one question about  how I came to these points....  Why I say that just assertions I am wrong.  People are so interesting.

But that’s not what we as teachers say,  I have listened and followed the tips from the pros.  "keep strong hives in full sun"  and your beetle problems  will not happen.   Its what we tell beginners and ourselves.   Step back and look,  and its exactly like that newbie who tells us "what mites?"  I don't have any mite problem.  WE believe because we have our hive in full sun and beetles haven’t got us yet,  we have it solved.  Unfortunatly I have found as many others have,  beetles are like mites were in the early stages. When you get them, in some areas,  you're going to learn a lot of what your told  is not helpful.

If you believe that your hive in the sunshine is warding off evil beetles,  your mistaken.  If you pass up a great yard because its not full sun,  you missed an opportunity that would not have hurt you.  We as speakers have and continue to present that story.
After  3 years of practice in my  home yard,  with full sun and full shade and spots in between,  and dozens of visits to others yards and in depth discussions,  hive congestion and other factors play into it.

If you choose to tang down your next swarm,  so be it  matters not to me.  If your hive is in full sun  great. What I hope is that when you get that next person come to you and say,  "I did what you said hives in the sun and beetles still got it"  you have a great excuse.

This is intended to be a discussion board,  and works pretty darn well for it.  There are always some in any group who are set in their ways,  or unable to listen to other viewpoints.  Luckily those are few here.  Most of the members are up for a good discussion and debate.  Its our choice to pick and choose what we read and how we digest the data.  Its our responsibility to figure out how that applies to our area.

I would love to say there are some I choose to ignore what they say,  but its not true.  I am capable of reading everyones points and enjoy their inputs.  Not quite that shallow, and I would never be as distasteful as to be disrespectful of others inputs, even when I disagree.

I hope if you don't have beetles you never get them. For the last 2-3 years they have been my number one issue.  I know ways to control mites.  Beetles not so much yet.

Charles