Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 11:46:15 GMT
> In spring of 2010 both yards received a spring treatment with oxalic acid
> dribbled between frames .

I have been using OA dribble for years as the sole treatment for mites with good results.  This spring I am seeing a higher than normal supercedure rate.  I used a ''hotter'' OA solution as outlined on Randy's website.  I am not sure the OA explains the supercedures.  The colonies built up well this year.  I run young queens raised in the second half of the previous summer in addition to feral queens that showed particularly good performance.

Randy did caution that the hotter OA concentration may not be suitable for cold winters and our last winter was rather persistant with cold weather.

Anyone else see higher supercedure with OA?

>The dribble is just so easy, and the most user friendly and
>inexpensive of all treatments.  <...>   I tried it in the Philippines this winter on some really
>heavily infested hives with poor results.

I have found OA to be effective in my neck of the woods.  An error in measuring the OA and sugar water can result in disappointing results - a human error on my part happened to me once.

Waldemar

PS.  We were off to a great honey flow this spring until last weekend here in downstate NY.  But it's been nothing but rain since Sunday though and we are in the middle of the autumn olive bloom.