From:
Dan O'Callaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:07:20 -0700
> The part I didn't say was I am going to move those hives into range country
> very soon and separate the two groups. The only way I can be sure if or if
> not the planter effected the bee hives.

Bob,
I'm no scientist, so maybe someone who is can offer a better field test here, but...
Since all the hives have been exposed to whatever occurs during planting of corn with a finger planter, would it be feasible to leave a couple of each (2 wintered dbls, 2 splits) at the planted location?  I do realize it's easy to propose this since they are not my bees to lose or my labor to retrieve, but, since many believe planting is not the only issue and that there is an issue with corn, if you move them all and they all do fine, you may rule out planting (at least with relatively dustless planting), but that is all you rule out.  If you leave some, and the relocated do fine but those left in corn fail, you rule-out the planting issue, but open the door to some other issue with corn that should be explored further.

Dan O'Callaghan
Irish Hill Farm
Xenia, OH