From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:47:49 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Rich,
>You are still TOO CHEAP for good local honey!  In the Washington DC area,
>grocery
>store prices of Sioux Bee and other well known commercial honeys are $2.75/LB
>$3.30/LB.  The honey of a LOCAL beekeeper should always sell for a higher
>price than  a grocery store product, because it is LOCAL, disease free,
>fresh, and you, the beekeeper, can TALK to a customer about bees and their
>importance whereas the
>store clerk can only ring the cash register.

Hi George and All,
 You hit it on the head. Brace yourself for these prices. 1# - $6     24
oz. - $8     3# - $12 and  $ 45. a gallon.. We do 5 farmers markets a
week during the summer and fall. I have built my customer base
by giving out information about where I put my bees and why the product
is very good. Its not Rocket science. If you have a good product get
paid for your work. I  spend a lot of time driving up to the mountains
and back to get the cleanest honey I can get.
 We do very well and have no competition but ourselves. Put out the best
product you can and explain some beekeeping to your customers. Have
pictures of some of your sites. Make up some info sheets about bees and
honey to hand out. It all works together. The last U-District market in
Seattle we did $ 1700 . That is above average for that market. $ 800 to
$ 1,000 is normal
 Good honey and good beekeeping brings in  the money.
Best Regards
Roy