From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 12:37:15 -0400
Sorry not to respond on this right away. I tend to gravitate toward my pet topics and this is not one of those.

The Bee World issues are not digitized as yet. Here is what I have access to at present, quoted material follows:

* * *

CHANGES IN THE BEHAVIOUR OF HONEY-BEES FOLLOWING THEIR RECOVERY FROM ANAESTHESIA BY C. R. RIBBANDS
Bee Research Department, Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden (Received 20 January 1950)

SUMMARY
1. Chloroform anaesthesia did not impair the memory, change the foraging
behaviour, or reduce the longevity of the treated bees; chloroform is therefore a
satisfactory anaesthetic for use in experiments on bee behaviour.
2. Carbon dioxide anaesthesia did not impair the memory of treated bees, but it
did induce a permanent change in their behaviour. Their pollen-collecting tendencies
were either eliminated or suffered very marked reduction. Experiments with
foraging bees of known age indicated that the carbon dioxide treatments had no
direct effect on longevity. Treatment of recently emerged bees with carbon dioxide
eliminated all or most of their brood-rearing and wax-secreting activities and caused
them to forage at an early age. Foraging life is more hazardous than life within the
310 C. R. RIBBANDS
hive, and therefore the expectation of life of these carbon-dioxide treated bees was
less than that of the controls.
3. The effects of nitrogen anaesthesia were similar to those obtained with carbon
dioxide. The factor common to both treatments is oxygen lack.
4. The theoretical and practicable possibilities of these results are discussed.