From:
Randall Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2016 20:27:04 -0400
I was going to respond with something like, "I really don't think FDA is
that silly" but then I found this FAQ posting on FDA.gov under "Industry
Resources on the Changes to the Nutrition Facts Label":

      Added Sugars

*16. Are the sugars in a jar of honey or a bag of sugar added sugars? If
so, what should the total and added sugars declaration look like?*

Yes, the sugar in a jar of honey and the sugar in a bag of sugar are
added sugars. The definition of added sugars includes sugars that are
either added during the processing of foods, or are packaged as such,
and include sugars (free, mono- and disaccharides), sugars from syrups
and honey, and sugars from concentrated fruit or vegetable juices that
are in excess of what would be expected from the same volume of 100
percent fruit or vegetable juice of the same type. The definition
excludes fruit or vegetable juice concentrated from 100 percent fruit
juice that is sold to consumers (e.g. frozen 100 percent fruit juice
concentrate) as well as some sugars found in fruit and vegetable juices,
jellies, jams, preserves, and fruit spreads. Please see 21 CFR
101.9(c)(6)(iii) on page 33980 of the Nutrition Facts Label Final Rule
for the definition of “Added Sugars.” For example the total sugars for a
serving of honey would be 17 grams (g) and the added sugars declaration
would also be 17g.

FDA defined sugars from honey as added sugars in the final rule. The
agency has heard concerns from the honey industry about declaring the
sugars in a jar of honey as added sugars, including that the sugar in
honey is not added to the product. FDA plans to invite further comment
in the near future.

Randall Austin
Puzzled in North Carolina