From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:06:12 -0400
Paul writes:
Articles by academics, NPR radio, New York Times, and organic
farmer associations don't qualify, obviously.   Articles by Iowa Farmer
type magazines, and state / national associations representing
conventional corn, soybean cotton and canola growers, etc., would
qualify.

I don't know if you have raised the bar or lowered it. Anyway, here you go:

Newest herbicide-resistance technology unveiled

Aug 9, 2010 11:00 AM, By Paul L. Hollis, Farm Press Editorial Staff

“The most important thing I can tell you is if you have resistance or you get resistance, and you keep doing the same things you’ve been doing, this pest will run you out of business. There’s no way you can survive.”

New technology is on the way that will help growers with glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth pigweed. The big question is, will some growers survive until then?

Glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth pigweed is devastating cotton production in Georgia, says Culpepper. “Across the state, we’ve confirmed it in 52 counties. If you’re not in an affected county, you probably will be this year. We all have resistance, and we will all see even more resistance as we move forward.

“The most important thing I can tell you is if you have resistance or you get resistance, and you keep doing the same things you’ve been doing, this pest will run you out of business. There’s no way you can survive,” he says.

Growers will need to become extremely integrated, says Culpepper. “That means you can continue to use herbicides, but you integrate those herbicides with other management practices. There are many potential ways of doing this, but I want to give you an example with some data we generated this year with some very large on-farm studies. If you are a typical grower strip-tilling into weeds, like 90 percent of our conservation-tillage guys do, and you go out with a very sound herbicide program at mid-season, you end up with 8,200 glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth per acre. In other words, you mow that crop down,” he says.

If a grower uses an extremely aggressive herbicide program, he only reduces the number down to about 7,600 plants per acre. Again, you mow your crop down if you’re going to rely exclusively on herbicides, says Culpepper.

“For you to survive, you’ve got to figure out how to keep this Palmer amaranth from coming up.” Growers must become diversified, thinking about both tillage and cover crops, he says. “Growers need to think about changing what they’re doing if they want to survive.”

http://westernfarmpress.com/

Western Farm Press Emphasizes the high-dollar cotton, vineyard, citrus, grain, nut, tree fruit, stone fruit, alfalfa, corn, vegetable and rice segments. The full-time field staff tailors editorial content to address the production, regulatory, marketing, legislative and technology issues of concern.