From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 01:54:43 +0100
Chris
> The incidence of AFB is less than 2%.

I thought that it was less than 0.5% but cannot find the data.

I also seem to recall that Bailey suggested a maximum of 6 colonies per
square mile, but I do not have the time to plough through his book to find
it!  He did however (Honey Bee Pathology - 1981) say: 'the common wish of
beekeepers to import bees that are alleged to be superior to their own is
easily gratified with the aid of modern transport, but little heed has been
paid to the dangers of introducing exotic diseases or unusual strains of
pathogens, especially of viruses, which are not easily diagnosed'.  Wise
words indeed.

Best wishes

Peter
52.194546N, -1.673618W