From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:43:27 +1000
> You know reading this Herve, and thinking deeply now for
> several hours, why would it be organic to clip wings and
> lose natural supercedure that would go hand in hand with
> organic?

It might go hand in hand for some people but I do not believe that clipping
wings stops the product i.e. honey being organic.  How can it?  Organic is
one thing but the way of keeping bees which does not involve clipping wings
is another.  After all, cattle are branded and males castrated but they can
still produce organic beef despite the fact that the male has now been
deprived of the ability to produce offspring.

I do not know if the same rules for organic apply elsewhere as here in
Australia but here is another rule that, to me, has no rationale to it.  If
I sell a queen bee to an organic producer and he requeens his hive with it,
the first extraction after the hive is requeened is not organic but after
that it is.  Now how does the queen affect the organic nature of the honey.

Also if I sell him a queen cell that comes from a non-organic hive, as long
as he mates it in his organic nuc, the resultant queen is classed as
organic.  Where is the rationale there?

Trevor Weatherhead
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?