From:
Ruth Zajicek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:40:22 -0400
If my understanding from ABJ and research is correct, oxalic acid vapor is thought to kill varroa mites when the mite travels within the hive and gets the OA on its foot pads. So the vapor dispersal method works better than the dribble method because it covers the hive surfaces more thoroughly. (Please correct me if I’m mistaken.)

With that line of reasoning, would it work to vaporize OA into empty drawn comb in an empty hive body and add the bees later? The crystals would all be there, but the oxalic acid would not condense onto the bees themselves. If that works, then it might be advantageous to pre-vaporize the nuc frames and boxes when making up spring nucs from shaken bees and new queens. Any thoughts?

Along those same lines, if we are using the acid-through-the-footpad methods of killing mites consistently, are we inadvertently selecting for mites who travel across hive surfaces less? Or hold on the their current bee more tightly or for longer?

Also, when I have put OA vapor into my observation hive, I have noticed that my bees only dispose of the larvae that are swimming in jelly between days 3-6 of life. The really big grubs get capped anyway, and the eggs are left alone. Has anyone studied the life-long effects of eggs or larvae exposed to oxalic acid pre-capping?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.

Sent from my iPhone