From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2016 15:09:23 -0500
> a similar quote attributed to Jay Smith went something like ...

I honestly don't think that originated with Jay Smith. More likely John Miller. He was quoted:

If bees are the angels, I'd have to say
beekeepers are a closer fit with prostitutes.
The dirty whores of agriculture.

Jay Smith, on the other hand, had a much brighter view of the world than that:

Explaining to the writer, the business
philosophy underlying his achievements,
Jay Smith made this statement, "I have
tried to practice in my relations with
men the wonderful motto of Rotary and
in the language of Fred High, I have
found that Service Pays!" In carrying
on this business at long range, Jay
Smith has taken for granted that the
other fellow just as much and is
just as honest as he is, and he makes it
a rule to make good any dissatisfaction
that arises.

Newspapers and magazines
have referred to his work. Every
bee journal in America has expanded the
press notices of the daily papers. This
publicity is deserved. Jay Smith is more
than merely an unusually successful man
in an unusual line of work. He is more
than a honey-bee expert with a highly
developed conscience. His life and
business activities are such that he is a
distinct asset to his community and to
society and a practical and sincere exponent
of the potency, in practice, of
the principles of Rotary.

"I haven't made a million dollars in
this business, but I wouldn't trade what
I have for a million dollars, " says Jay
Smith "I know what joy success brings.
Here on my farm with my good wife
and surrounded by fine friends, I am
very happy. With bees humming every-
where, with flowers and fruit around
me, with ample opportunity for hard
work, and with all the fun that comes
from a labor of love, why shouldn't one
rejoice?"

The Rotarian, March 1924

[note: Jay Smith was born on a farm a mile southwest of Tampico, Illinois, October 13th, 1871. He died at Fort Myers, Florida, on 29th November 1953.