From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:13:26 -0400
Ok I'll admit to being confused.  The article states/claims that one single
kernal has enough pesticide to kill a songbird.  Are birds not eating the
seeds or are there reports I'm missing of bird kills or are the birds
simply not eating the seeds?  If the most widely used insecticide is lethal
at the 1 seed dose how is it that we still have birds in farming regions at
all?
Are neonics that deadly to birds?
I tried reading the linked review article and the section on toxicity.
They reccomended an HD5? method.  As I understood it (if at all) it is a
calculated value for what they think the toxicity would be to the 5% most
vulnerable species, but they would be wrong 50% of the time (over or
underestimate the actual value).  That is assuming that the toxicity for
all birds follows a normal distribution I guess since they only test 2
species.  I'll be honest, it sounds like statistics hocus pocus to me.  I
understand being conservative and that it's expensive to test many
different types of birds, but that seems like a lot of assumptions to me,
but I don't know enough stats to know if that is a reasonable thing to do
or not.

What am I missing here?

Jeremy
West Michigan.