From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:19:12 -0400
Randy writes:
> the main argument for biodiversity ...

Me:
Maybe, but the author finds enough to discuss to fill more than 500 pages, so I hardly think it can be boiled down without losing much substance.

Donald S. Maier writes:
The currently overwhelmingly popular environmentalist view is that we must
save biodiversity because biodiversity is too valuable to lose; and that our primary
commitment to the natural world is expressed in this act of salvation. This sentiment
seems to infiltrate most every argument for why nature is valuable, and it comes
from a multitude of the most respected sources. It comes from E.O. Wilson – the
most eminent biodiversity advocate of the day. A steady stream of books, lectures,
and essays has carried his repeated pleas to head off the Sixth Great Extinction.
It is hard to find a biologist who writes about biodiversity and who does not follow Wilson’s path.