From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:10:10 -0700
> >This if often repeated as a successful method of re-queening, but whenever
> I ask how they determined the success rate, the answer more often than not
> is that there was no follow up check done (usually for the same reason this
> method was selected - lack of time).   For those that have actually checked
> it turns out the results usually aren't good at all.

This method is so compellingly attractive, that I've also been interested,
but have never taken the time to check.  However, Cameron Jay did: S. C.
Jay (1981) Requeening Queenright Honeybee Colonies with
Queen Cells or Virgin Queens, Journal of Apicultural Research, 20:2, 79-83

"Of the 276 colonies in [which queen cells were introduced into the honey
supers], only 46 ( 17%) contained queens from the  introduced cells when
the test was concluded."

Tibor Szabo also tested the method: Tibor I. Szabo (1982) Requeening
Honeybee Colonies with Queen Cells, Journal of Apicultural Research, 21:4,
208-211.

Out of 474 colonies independently tested in two years of testing, only
12.7% of the introduced cells resulted in a laying queen.

The two experimentally-determined rates of success (17% and 12.7%) are
remarkably in agreement, strongly suggesting that claims for 80% success
are exaggerated.

Some beekeepers tell me that they wrap the cells with tape to avoid the
workers chewing them, but I have no idea whether that is simply wishful
thinking.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA