Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:13:03 -0600
 >> I guess what I am really asking is, "How long do I have to move them
 >> to the new location nearby before they orient on where they are?"

 > When we place virgin queen we do not move the nucs till the queens mate.

It sounds as if you leave them right where you make them up.  In my case
I am intending to make up four splits on a pallet, add queens, then move
them a half-mile to a new location using my forklift.

Under most conditions, simply smoking bees reduces flying sufficiently that
they can be moved without losing many.  We have been able to load a few
hives at mid-day this way.  Once shaded with a trap, they moved a few
miles open on a  truck just fine.

So, I'm assuming that if I smoke the hive, make up the splits, move the
pallet a
half-mile with my forklift, then gas them and add queens, I should be fine?