From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:22:27 -0600
Hello All,

Mike asks:
Well? What's the answer? Can a beekeeper make money pollinating almonds at
$60/colony.

All beekeeping is local and situations vary. I can not imagine why a
California beekeeper would not pollinate almonds. I can see why a Florida
beekeeper would have concerns.

A pollination at a time when  when his main honey production and build up to
period is not effected is always of interest  to the beekeeper.

I have decided to write an article for the bee magazine about the pro's and
con's of Almond pollination from the Midwest beekeepers persepective. The
pitfalls are many.

Mike said:
I quit pollinating apples in the northeast at $35. Even with honey prices at
$.80/lb, I felt I was losing money. Pollinators make a super less
honey...that's $25.

Again all beekeeping is local. I have seen bees come out of Almonds & apples
so strong they are ready to swarm *and* also weak and starving needing feed.
The chance you take in any pollination. Especially agriculture crops which
require a large number of hives and produce little nectar. Every year is
different which is a big part of the problem. Apple pollination in our area
effects spring work but because in our situation only a percentage of hives
are used we check those hives first before apple pollination and work the
apple polliantion hives last after the rest of the hives are worked.

Mike said:
And then there's all the extra work getting the bees
ready, and moving in and out, and damage to equipment, and extra help to
hire.

I believe Mike has said he is not migratory. If so then I understand
completely. Moving bees in cool weather is a easy  job for my partner and
myself. The two of us move hundreds of bees each night without incident. The
work is boring for me  (partly because my partner is instantly asleep the
minute the truck starts moving) .The hours long but moving bees is the
easiest part of our beekeeping work. Between us are decades of bee hive
moving which makes the work go smoother. Both my partner and I move whole
loads of hives by ourselves during the regular season. Both of us feel
working alone at night using equipment is dangerous but the job is
accomplished easily *in our situation*by a single person. We do the long
haul pollination jobs together to keep down fatigue problems.

Mike said:
 And what about Maine Blueberries? The bees really took a beating last year
on the Blueberry barrens, and many were too weakened to make a honey crop
later in the season.

The problem is not as great for local  Blueberry pollination beekeepers as
they can check on hives and feed etc. but is huge for out of state
beekeepers. Another problem with Maine Blueberries is the pollination comes
at a time of peak honey production in the Midwest. Fees would have to be
higher on Maine Blueberries to interest most Midwest beekeepers but not
Florida beekeepers as not *in most instances* a big honey production time in
Florida.

  Mike said:
 The pollination check looks great early in the season...if you
haven't managed your finances well, but for me...pollinating is a losing
proposition.

Pollinating is many times a losing proposition but creates cash flow many
times at a time when cash flow is low.

At times hives  overflowing with brood and bees from pollination is a big
plus. Beekeeping is a gamble. The big plus for pollination is the fact you
know you are going to collect payment. Honey production can be like
commercial fishing. All signs you will harvest a big crop of fish are
around. The weather is perfect and the wind is from the right direction but
when you return to collect the fish the nets/baskets are all but empty!
Happens in beekeeping also at times when you return to pick up supers!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

I come from a commercial fishing family on my fathers side. Only one family
member now remains a commercial fisherman. His son is not interested in
becoming a fisherman and mine is not interested in becoming a beekeeper.