From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:30:52 EST
     Gentlepeople:

     I have noticed a trend in the BEE-L that concerns me.  When I
     originally signed on nearly 6 months ago, there seemed to be an
     occasional spat (conflict) between members on the list, but for
     the most part it was a congenial group of people.  In the last
     month or so I have witnessed several threads that basically
     were dealing with conflict, put-downs, and apologies for words
     said either in haste or with subtle forethought.  The
     congeniality that I experienced in my early days on the list
     and the freedom to ask questions that that encouraged has
     seemed to evaporate to more than just a degree.

     It has discouraged me.  I have learned a lot from this list and
     will continue to, I suppose, but some of the joy of sharing
     with others of similar interests, rare in the world outside of
     beekeepers meetings and the companions on this list, has eroded
     by the bickering.

     Now I am not asking for goodness and light and for everyone to
     don their halo when they log on, but can we keep the
     "conversations" we hold on this list based the same courtesy we
     would show to each other if we met and were talking face to
     face?  It is all to easy to "lash out" at the computer terminal
     and forget or disregard the other person(s) on the other side
     of that screen.

     I have a longer base of experience with the BEE-L than some of
     the newcomers and can view this trend in context with the other
     threads I have seen that are constructive and friendly.  If
     some of the newcomers to this list have experienced the
     antagonism on the list without the benefit of seeing the
     cooperation and congeniality, I am afraid that they would sign
     back off again with only a sour memory of the experience.

     If anything that I have "said" causes anyone to consider
     flaming my opinion....

     I rest my case.

     Mark Egloff
     Dayton, Ohio