Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:13:35 -0600
> I also am surprised at how sloppy many are with incubator temperature.  I
> don't know if it makes any difference, but I keep mine right at broodnest
> temp, just to be on the safe side.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be ideal broodnest temperature.?

My reading seems to indicate that it may vary between strains and for other
reasons, but in my own limited observations it has seemed to be -- going
from memory -- 95.5 degrees plus or minus very little (1/2 degree, perhaps)
.  That was with a Radio Shack remote reading probe.  I think I checked the
calibration and was satisfied that it was right on.

The article under current discussion seems to imply that the temperature is
not constant, but has local hot and cooler spots due to the 'heater bees'.
Hmmm.  Some beekeepers think it is important that the bees are in contact
with queen cells, even to the extent of refusing to put protectors on cells
once capped to protect from stray queens for that reason.  Obviously there
is no such contact in an incubator.

I'd have to check to confirm the temperature I suggested, above, though
since it has been years since I raised queens.

One thing I do recall clearly, though, is that most incubators cannot
control the temperatures nearly as closely as the bees do.

I think that is why people run incubators a bit under the natural
temperature; they are afraid that the thermostat will allow an excursion to
the upside of a degree or two and that is enough to cook the pupae as I
understand it.  It may be a habit, too, passed down from the days when
accurate thermometers and precision  thermostats were uncommon and pricy.

I know very little about the time and temperature tolerances of pupae.