From:
Rob Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:29:11 -0500
My Russian queen brought thru Kelley's last spring has been fine.  My first
year got about 70lbs of honey, no counting what I left on for winter
stores.  I left far too much on, as a look at the two brood chambers last
Sunday showed sigificant honey stores still... I could have removed all the
supers with honey stores on them.

The queen is actively laying now.  We found brood.  I've been feeding them
1:1 syrup for a few weeks, and have had apistan strips in for 2½ weeks
now.  I may be pushing the season slightly.

In spite of a lot of dead bees around the hive, in the show, I have a
strong and enthusiastic hive.  I have a sting on my nose to show for
it.  Lots of workers.  A few were sighted inside loaded with pollen.  We're
in Central Indiana, and crocuses have just been open a week.

Some debris on the bottom board, which hadn't been examined since last
summer.  Apistan treatments late last summer, and now.  No sign of mites,
on the bees, on the bottom board.

I've never had a hive before this one.  So I cannot compare the Russian
queen to anything.  However, I'm very very happy.  And my nose stopped burning.