From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:44:07 -0500
ust something as simple as controlling the dose, with the
> arbitrary way bees take in patties, is variable and difficult to control.
> So
> they may have high or low dosage rather than just right.

*Just right* was never precise pertaining to terra application. However the
researcher recommendations were three treatments  dusted at certain time
intervals. As far as dose researchers said to always error on the high side
rather than the low side. This is the method I use and never used terra in
syrup (as degrades quickly) and never felt pattie application was a *better*
method than dusting so I never used terra in patties.

Over the years I have been called in on many AFB problems. Most would never
have reached the level of needing burning *if* the beekeepers (commercial
included) had followed the recommendations researchers had given which is:

When AFB is detected in a bee yard ( 2 hive or 2000  hive commercial holding
yard) the entire yard is treated for AFB (as opposed to only treating the
hives showing AFB signs).

Time and again beekeepers only treat the single hive.

in other words with many beekeepers:
"There is always time to do the job over but never enough time it seems to
do the job right the first time!"

Many commercial beekeepers never switched to tylosin and have never seen a
resistance to terra. I am one of those beekeepers. I agree resistant AFB was
found but even the researchers said *in their opinion* resistant AFB had
been around for a long time but rare and was never ever looked for before
reported. resistant AFB was good for a few bee articles and to get tylosin
registered but at meetings most beeks I spoke to reported never seeing AFB
terra would not cure.

The *AFB resistant scare* has had the problem issue *in my opinion* of
making many beekeepers use tylosin in syrup (not legal) and use tylosin
prophylactic which is also illegal.

bob