From:
Mary Jane Phifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:48:05 -0400
It is looking more like lack of food/starvation, but I am wondering too what effects spraying would have on *any* hive?  Personally, it would be nice to know what the crew is using in their tanks...

Howard's comment saying poisoning would only kill the adults (and not affect the brood) is well noted, and as the foundation is totally cleared I would have to say they ran out of food.  Screened bottom boards help with the mites but I have not put a tray in (due to the heat) to actually check levels.

The hives that are still going are the larger hives that had begun to fill the supers earlier.  Mentor-Jack said he's heard from other beeks saying that honey productions is way down.  However, if we continue to get a little rain the Fall flowers should be wonderful.  Those supers may have held enough food for the hives to survive, plus robbing out the remaining stores from the weakened ones...

Going to run them all this afternoon.  Will see what we find.  Thanks for all the input~
Mary Jane
Mansfield, MO