From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:52:04 -0400
Hello All,
I have been keeping tabs on the Midwest Honey Hot line. Last month Richard
Adee said 1.25 should be about right and that honey would go to a buck
fifty before long. So far wishfull thinking.

Has not happened. Around a dollar a pound has been tops and beekeepers are
wondering why.

The highest price quoted by a big packer was .78 a pound. Dutch Gold.

The Midwest honey hot line has been very accurate over many years. Far more
accurate than the bee magazines ON LARGE LOTS OF BULK HONEY.

If you call the honey hot line the line thinks all the packers are getting
together to keep prices down. Isn't price fixing illegal? Surely not!

I personally do not think that's the case but rather because they are
stocked up with foreign honey knowing the loophole was being closed. The
packers also know beekeepers are still sitting on a huge portion of last
years crop.

A commercial beekeeper friend is sitting on the last four years of his
honey crop. I believe if honey crops from before 2006 reach the market it
will offset short 2006 crops but only my opinion.

Like Brian said in an earlier post areas east of the Dakotas and north of
me had bumper crops.

The boys in the Dakota's have sit back and had honey crops many times over
200 pound averages while the rest of us were on a honey production "merry
go round". The ones I spoke with said they never saw it coming. Many are
hurting cash flow wise.

Honey selling for around a  buck a pound is a money maker in my book!
 Packers were offering 60-70 cents a pound ( and lower) last spring.

hard to decide what to do:

 Buy now if you need honey or wait to see if price comes down.

Sell now if you have got bulk honey or wait and see if price goes up.

The regulars on the list ( Aaron, Keith, Randy, Lloyd, Mark ,Brian and
others)can email me and I will provide the Midwest Honey hot line phone
number.

The number is mainly for members but many beekeepers have got the number.