From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:07:12 -0400
Someone  Wrote:
>* You may have a clear idea in mind as to what is natural and >what is
artificial but can you say what the difference is?
>….Wild hives are natural, keeping bees with frames isn't

A good question and good comment also!

I’m not going to suggest how others should define natural, because this is
up to each individual beekeeper to decide.  But I do wish to comment with
my thoughts on the matter.

Perhaps, one cannot separate human influences from the environment. If the
void is available in the honeybees environment and accepted as a potential
nesting site (man made or not), then it is a part of the bees habitat and
therefore perfectly natural for bees to inhabit such a site weather in an
old farmhouse or empty wine barrel.  For bees to ignore a potential site
within its habitat due to it being unnatural,  would neglect their basic
survival instincts which are to exploit what is found in the habitat for
survival.  And therefore avoiding  ’unnatural voids’ just because they are
human made would be unnatural in itself.

Perhaps, to the bees, the hive box is ‘just another void’.  It is already
well documented that “neither cavity shape nor entrance shape is
important“ when honeybees choose a nesting site.  The human perception
of ‘what is natural’ means nothing as far as the bees are concerned.  Bees
may build a nest in any suitable void no mater how it may be configured
or 'who configured it'.  And the nest structure and size will be
determined by colonies needs as it expands in relation to the aspects of
the void, and would make it natural nesting site as far as the bees are
concerned.  If a colony of bees happens to build a nest in a box with
frames, OR is forced there by the beekeeper, they will still follow the
natural set of rules while expanding and building their nest in this
void.  That the frames are spaced in a way so as to utilize the bees
natural tendency to leave bee space and be manipulated should be of no
consequence.

An analogy I’ve been pondering:
If it is natural for chimpanzees to make and use simple tools
for ’chimpanzee interference’ in nature (primates are known to use short
sticks for extracting honey from stingless bee nests, but choose longer
sticks for extracting honey from AHB nests).  Then why is it somehow
unnatural for humans to make and use tools for ’human interference’ in
nature?  How can humans be said to be affecting nature, impacting the
habitat and yet in the same breath are said not to be a part of nature?

I choose to use a little ‘practical strategy’ when defining the term
natural and unnatural.

‘unnatural’ - I choose to define as the line that when crossed
causes ‘significant impact’ on the honeybees natural selection process
that is essential for the promotion of survival of the fittest and
acclimatized genetics.  This I specifically define to mean anything other
than routine beekeeper manipulations, and manipulations designed to
encourage a colony to perform at its highest level  that gives a colony an
unfair genetic representation in the habitat.  So “crutches” for example
may prop up poor genetics (increasing or decreasing drone production or
swarming, winter survival etc.) causing them to be misrepresented in the
breeding sphere in relation to how nature intends them to be represented.
This can hasten the acclimatization of honeybees thru breeding as Brother
Adam states is essential for the long term health and survival of the
honeybee.

‘Natural’ -  I choose to define in beekeeping as the keeping of honeybees
as much as possible under a system of harmonious relationship between the
honeybee, beekeeper and the environment, by using beekeeping methodry that
promotes the healthy development of the honeybee colony and its natural
way of living together with the needs of the beekeeper.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle