From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:44:15 -0400
> in this study we developed an RT-MLPA approach to diagnose for the most common honeybee viruses in one single procedure. This RT-MLPA diagnostic tool is easy, cost effective, allows for very high throughput analyses and above all is extremely versatile. The BeeDoctor can easily be expanded with probes for additional pathogens and/or markers for honeybee health and disease.

> The BeeDoctor assay was used to screen 363 apparently healthy colonies from randomly selected apiaries throughout Flanders. This survey showed that almost 80% of colonies are infected with at least one virus, and many with multiple infections, showing that virus infections in apiaries are quite common, even in the absence of clinical symptoms.

Citation: De Smet L, Ravoet J, de Miranda JR, Wenseleers T, Mueller MY, et al. (2012) BeeDoctor, a Versatile MLPA-Based Diagnostic Tool for Screening Bee Viruses. PLoS ONE 7(10): e47953.

[ RT-MLPA = Reverse Transcriptase Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification = A variation of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) that permits multiple targets to be amplified with only a single primer pair ]