From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 19:39:20 -0700
I was asked off list about the MAQS "incident" in Calif.

> >A week or so ago you posted on bee-l that a beekeeper was having some
> queen losses with mite away quick strips. Any updates, explanations, ect?

I've spoken at length to the beekeeper, and am planning to run a spring
trial myself, as the trial that I ran was in fall, when colonies were
shutting down brood rearing.  The manufacturer suggests using full 3/4"
beeways or shifting the second brood chamber back a bit for additional
ventilation if the beeways are smaller.

However, one of the afflicted beekeeper's hives inadvertently had an
entrance reducer left in.  The beekeeper figured that that hive would be
toast, but to his surprise, it was in great shape, with the queen laying
well!  So go figure!

> >Im getting ready to try some myself here in central va and want to
> make sure I take all the right precautions.

I suggest that you try ANY new treatment on a few hives first!!!!

> >In your trials what was the weakest hive you tried? I have a number of
> decent splits ranging from 5-9 frames of bees and hatching thier first
> round of brood now...

About that size, but again, in fall, not spring.

All, MAQS is a new product that will require a learning curve.  Please share
your successes or problems with the List, or at least with me off list.

Thanks,--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
ScientificBeekeeping.com