From:
Anthony M Jadczak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:41:49 -0500
     Last night, one of the students in a beekeeping short course gave me a
     small container of Leatherwood honey for the collection of honeys that
     I bring to various meetings, classes, etc.  I have tasted many
     different types of honey over the years and have experienced some very
     unique flavors.  I must say that none compares to the "Leatherwood" I
     was given last night.  I have shared it with my family and several
     coworkers in order to get a description,  I wish to verify that this
     honey is really leatherwood and hasn't picked up any flavor from the
     previous contents of the container.  Description: the honey is light
     in color and is crystallized like a honey spread with very fine
     crystals, yet pourable and not set hard (thixotropic ?).  My immediate
     impression of taste was fruity.  Coworkers described the taste as
     somewhat like apricot or peach. One said citrus.  Older son said,
     "licorice like"(?) Younger son said, "sugary".  Is this what
     leatherwood looks like and tastes like?  If so, the beekeepers of
     Tasmania are very fortunate.  Any info on the honey, the plant and
     production practices is appreciated.  Tony J. Augusta, Maine, USA