From:
Barry Sergeant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:48:07 -0400
Hi Bob & all

I'm fascinated by all the trouble the SHB is causing in your climes.
Has any research been done on why this creature is ignored by
beekeepers with scutellata?

If I look long enough in a scut hive, I will eventually find a few SHBs.
Scuts do not tolerate them. We certainly don't treat for the pest. The
implication must be that scuts have some kind of mechanism to
almost completely suppress the SHB; probably hygienic behaviour.

Also, I don't find the beetles causing trouble where I store empty
(used) hives and comb. But I always ensure these storage areas are
accessible to birds, mainly the two kinds of honeyguides that are
always around.

The only time SHB's explode inside a scut hive is during summer
when the colony is in the intermediate to advanced stages of
succumbing to capensis. In such situation the colony is doomed, SHB
or not.

Barry Sergeant
Kyalami
South Africa