From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 12:59:27 -0300
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Stellio Matson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> And means a 5 gallons of PONCHO is enough to treat nearly a whole square
> mile of land in corn!

5 gallons of PONCHO is about 50 pounds.
At 40 percent active clothianidin is 20 pounds which is about 9 kg.
The LD 50 oral of clothianidin on honeybees is 2.8 to 3.7 ng  (let's say 3
ng)
A nanogram is a billionth of a gram, a trillionth of a kg.  (1 X 10 to the
minus 12)
So divide your 9 trillion ng of clothianidin on one square mile by 3
and you have enough to kill 3 trillion bees,  or at 50,000 per hive:
60,000,000 beehives.
Doesn't seem insignificant to me, Paul.

> I can't imagine how a 5 gallons worth of PONCHO spread out across a square
> mile of land and buried in the soil is going to cause serious landscape
> scale health problems for any insects other than those that feed on the
> leaf tissues of the crop (e.g. grasshpppers, aphids, leaf beetles, etc.)

You don't *bury* a persistent systemic that plants take up with a long soil
half-life and lay it to rest.  The soil is the basis for our whole
ecosystem.
For a very nice and simple demonstration of how this works with respect
to seed treatments and bees, along with some nice illustrations of how
small a ppb is (which affects all the *small* quantities you are offering
up)
please look at this site from Purdue University:

 http://www.soils.wisc.edu/extension/wcmc/2012/ppt/Krupke_2.pdf

"Unintended Consequences of Field Crop Seed Treatments on Honeybees"

Stan